May 10, 2006

Grounded!

Yesterday was the stuff of January dreams. Beloved Spring exploded into a stellar day of warm breezes and fragrant colors. The air at dusk was gentle and exquisite, coaxing even the sun to linger long and luxurious.

As I watched my 10 month-old, button-obsessed daughter play with the telephone I thought, "This is a great life. We've been blessed with our baby, we live in a good neighborhood in a wonderful town, we're healthy, happy, and--"

Why is there a cop at the front door?

Yes, officer, everything is fine.
Yes, I'm sure.
911? From this number?
No, I didn't call...
Oh... oh, gee...

I'm awfully sorry to have inconvenienced you.
It's kind of funny, don't you think?
I mean, really, what are the odds that she would randomly dial 9-1-1?
Thank you for understanding. And for coming out so quickly. I'm really sorry!
Yes, thank you. You have a good night, too.


Phone privileges revoked.




No comments: